The fall season in Fort Collins, Loveland, Windsor and all of Northern Colorado can be the most enjoyable time of the year. Fall hikes and outdoor activities are still available with cooler temperatures and very scenic with the color changes in the trees. Autumn seems to ease on us as we transition out of summer but winter will unpredictably begin soon and can make home maintenance projects difficult, so start now.
Enjoy your fall and don’t let housework stress you out by getting prepared and follow these maintenance projects and tips this fall.
- Clear your gutters and downspouts of any leaves or debris. Maintaining a functional roof drainage system is going to be important when heading into winter.
- Check your roofing shingles for cracks, curling, or loose areas. While cleaning the gutters take a good look at your roof covering and repair any areas in need before you see leaks from the inside.
- Trim back any tree branches hanging over your home. Snow and rain mixed with any leaves not yet fallen can create more weight than the limbs can handle and could lead to major damage and a safety concern.
- Winterize your irrigation system. Have sprinklers turned off and blown out before the freeze.
- Apply new sealant around windows, door, and any other exterior wall penetrations to prevent unwanted energy loss in your home.
- Prevent pest intrusion. When it gets colder, mice and insects invite themselves indoors. Call for professional pest control to keep unwanted guests out this fall and winter.
- Schedule a service for your furnace or other heating systems. Have a professional clean and lubricate your system to make sure it’s working at its optimal level (or working at all). And don’t forget to change dirty air filters.
- Inspect and sweep your fireplace and chimney. Your damper must be in working condition and chimney cleaned before it’s safe to use your fireplace again as a heating source.
- Add more insulation and save on your heating costs. Older homes rarely have enough insulation in the attic. Find out what kind of insulation you have and get up to an R-Value of R-38.
For any projects you don’t want to tackle yourself visit our website to see out preferred vendors list. We trust each company listed on this page will take care of your needs with honesty and integrity.
SiteLogic Home Inspections is a local and family owned business in Fort Collins, Colorado. Our inspections and reports are designed to be one of the most helpful steps in your home buying process. Owner and Lead Inspector Joe Anderson is dedicated to making sure you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your home, and is available to answer any questions you have even long after your inspection is complete.
SiteLogic is a Certified Professional Inspection company. We are InterNACHI certified, so you can trust that our inspectors are among the most highly trained in the industry. Our professionally trained home inspectors use modern technology, tools, and techniques to identify deficiencies and effectively communicate what exactly it means to the current condition of your home. Visit SiteLogicInspections.com to learn more and schedule your inspection today.